Sunday, August 19, 2012

Chicken Cacciatore alla Carla

Because Hubb's and I do not like dark meat chicken I modified this classic Italian recipe to our liking. I would have preferred to use split breast on the bone but all I had on hand was boneless breast. Actually anytime I research recipe's I always put my own spin on it, replacing ingredients I don't like or have and substituting with one's that I do. For the cacciatore I used:

1-1 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast
1 10 oz pkg button mushrooms
1/2 onion diced
1 large carrot diced
2 red and 2 green hot cherry peppers seeded and diced
3-4 cloves of garlic smashed and peeled
1 24 oz can of whole tomatoes squeezed with my hands
1 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
about 1 tablespoons combined chopped fresh oregano and time
one small fresh bay leaf
flour to toss chicken in (about a cup seasoned with salt and pepper)
more salt and pepper to taste

Add oil and 2 tablespoons of butter to a large skillet, toss chicken in flour and brown on all sides (do it in batches so not to steam) remove from the pan and set aside. Next add onions and carrot to pan and sweat for about 3-4 minutes, add mushrooms and cook until brown, season with salt and pepper. Add red wine and cook until all liquid is reduced. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, herbs and cook for about 1/2 hour, add last tablespoon on butter, meanwhile set a pot of salted water to boil and keep the sauce simmering. 




At this point when the water comes to a boil add the chicken to the sauce and throw the pasta. Today I was a little bored so I made some homemade fresh fettucini, I won't post the recipe because there are already a million recipe's available on-line, but any pasta of your choice will be perfect. Toss together and you're going to be in heaven. 
*Garnish with grated romano
**Some garlic bread would be a perfect accompaniment 
***Also a nice glass of wine and share the love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment