Thursday, April 25, 2013

Kale And Pasta Italiano...Pizza Too!!

    I love, love, love kale.....too bad it took me 48 years to figure this out. I have been trying to eat more healthy lately and I read that kale is what they call a super food. I spotted a bunch at a trip to my local farmers market and put it in my cart on a whim. It sat in my fridge for 4 day's until I got the courage to take it out and play with it, oh I am so glad I did. I cooked it up Italian style and the first night I put it on a pizza, the second night I tossed it with pasta. Here is what I did.
1 bunch of curly kale stems removed and torn into bite size pieces (estimating about 10 cups)
6-10 cloves of garlic to taste
1 cup sliced black olives
3 tablespoons of capers
3 tablespoons of pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup of water
salt, pepper and hot red pepper flakes to taste
pasta of your choice
Toss everything together in a large pot, cover and steam until tender to your liking, I cooked mine about 15 minutes. Boil Pasta and toss altogether. Yes it's that simple and oh so good!!! Here is what the pizza looked like the night before.
*I topped the pasta dish with a little fresh lemon zest, brightened the dish up beyond belief 
*the pizza is topped with the kale, brie and prosciutto

No comments:

Post a Comment